header

bloglovin feedburner facebook google plus pinterest Image Map

pages

sponsor home freebies link parties deals contact Image Map

January 17, 2013

Dreading Bath Time

The hubs and I have a pretty good bedtime routine worked out for the little bear:  bath, books, bed.  He's had the same routine since he was six months.  It works, so there has never been a need to change it.  


We take turns each day with the bath and books.  I read some where that if kids get used to the same parent always doing the bedtime stuff, then the parent is as built into the routine as much as anything else.  So if the right parent is not there... trouble.  So, to cover all the bases I read one night, and give the bath the next night.  

The odd thing is that I dread bath time when it is my turn.  I'm not sure what it is, but the idea of doing the bath just rubs me the wrong way.  I am constantly trying to rush it and even talk little bear into taking a shower; which for a three year old is like asking the sun not to shine.  I mean really, why would you give up splashing in bubbles for a shower?  

I have a feeling my sense of dread comes from the days that I do not have bath duties.  On those days when the boys head upstairs to the bath, I get to sit in peace and quiet.  I get to choose what is on TV, or to turn it off and read without distraction.  I get to surf my blogs or Pinterest without a little monkey hanging on my arm asking to see super heros on the Geek Board.  For thirty minutes it is just me.  Ahhhh... I suppose now that I think about it, that is a hard thing to give up every other day. 

The sad thing is that bath time in our house is easy.  There is no fighting or crying.  My little guy gladly runs up the stairs.  He is perfectly capable of undressing and loves putting his dirty clothes down the laundry chute.  All that I have to do is run the water, wash his hair, soap him up, and rinse.  

Then all that is left is to sit back and watch him play... and play he does.  Laughing, singing, and telling stories.  When I finally let go of my "dread" and focus on the moment, it is one of the best times of the day.  A time of love and laughter.

Sure my days off are wonderful and refreshing, but that does not mean the other days have to anything less.  Isn't hearing the peals of laughter from a perfectly happy child just as refreshing?  You bet your bottom it is!  By expecting the chore to be a hassle or a pain, I am practically guaranteeing that it turns out that way.  

Yet, when I accept my situation and drop my preconceived notions; it turns out to be not nearly as bad as I expected, and in most cases better!  It never ceases to amaze me how much influence our outlook and approach can have in our lives.  

Tonight is my bath night, and I am going to attack it with JOYWhen that negative voice starts up, I will answer it with a reminder of my little bear's laughter from the the last bath... already I cannot wait for the fun!           



8 comments:

  1. his laughter will surely make bath time much easier. Thank you for sharing at the hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...enjoy it! My four year old son acts like were drowning him in the toilet when we wash his hair...lol...but I do understand the "quiet" time for you when it's your hubbies turn. I really enjoy those too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little kiddo is cute! Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. I tried to email you but it didn't work. :( Esther Norine Designs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe your son is so cute. Good luck tonight! ;)
    Liz
    http://liz-makes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, he's precious! I know what you mean though ... I'm a morning person so by evening I'm running on fumes, and I LOVE when my husband is home early enough to do the bath routine. It's nice to just curl up on the sofa for a while and put your brain on hold!

    Found you through the Hop and am now following! Have a wonderful weekend (and bath time)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! For JOY! But also for being a perfectly honest parent...it's funny how we crave our alone time (but right- when you get the rare afternoon alone you can't wait for the littles to return?) Just one of those things I suppose. But joy and gratitude are the perfect combo for creating the best kinds of moments (and memories.)
    Thanks for linking up with on the Photo Friday blog hop- we love your contribution and wish you a great weekend and hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this candid reflection. So many times I begrudgingly approach my daily tasks involving my kids. But really, my kids are easy. And they will only be in the house for about six more years...and the moments we laugh....priceless.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips